Saturday, September 25, 2010

The "new" system

Assuming that Agent 99 and I are going to switch to some version of 2/1 Game Forcing, there's something to be said for trying to get her to play what Elwood and I play. It would make my life easier, no doubt, but that wasn't what I meant. It's just that Elwood is a 2/1 afficionado, and so anything he agreed to play with me is probably somewhat sound. On the other hand, that isn't necessarily at all the best answer. Their personalities are quite different, and Elwood has a much higher tolerance for memory strain. (Agent 99 is willing to try, but she actually has a social life away from the bridge table, which proves to be a very distracting factor.) Add to that the Flint-Pender stuff we used to play, and there's some scope for creativity here.

Now, when I say creativity, I usually mean ripping off good ideas from better players. So I was browsing around, and I found www.bridgementor.com, and the system notes for Shep's 2/1. I'm not thinking to steal the whole thing (Shep doesn't play a weak notrump, for starters), but there are one or two things that are interesting. Using jump-shift responses as 4-card raises in the majors could be a good idea. Making 1D-2C a non-GF 2/1 may be better than "pure" 2/1.

Just to mention, I was enchanted to notice that the system includes criss-cross raises of the minors (1D - 3C and 1C - 2D) to provide a two-tier breakdown of the weak raise to 3minor. I invented that for myself and Agent 99 some time ago, and I've never noticed anyone else mention the idea.

No comments: