Sunday, May 17, 2009

second and third thoughts

As usual, the analysis of that last hand happened in the few minutes after the game was over. The two or three of us that looked at it were pleased with the conjunction of endplay and squeeze to try and get 11 tricks out of the cards, with the added fillip of the coup-like lead of the unsupported king to foil the attempt.

But after I wrote yesterday's post, the hand was back in my mind, and continued to percolate as such things do. I started to wonder: would it actually be better to play the spade ace and another, rather than taking the double finesse? That wouldn't be nearly so pretty, but it would work at least as well.

For a little while, I thought that the hand was really cooked, in that laying down the ace was better, but I don't think so now. My latest view is that both plays work on the same spade distributions, so why not go with the prettier play? But you can really start to hate this game and the self-doubt that it can generate.

1 comment:

Memphis MOJO said...

Go for the style points!