Saturday, May 2, 2009

Disaster

OK, I'm definitely not feeling good now. But they say confession is good for the soul, so here goes.

I directed the 299er game yesterday afternoon, no problem. One pair turned ugly when I gave them a late play, but screw them, they were way late. I patrolled over to them to tell them to hurry up and finish because the move had been called, and only then realized that they were finishing up the second of three boards. Late play!

Today, disaster struck. Another 299er game, six tables (the Saturday 299er is a small game). So I went with the relay-bystand, which is one of my favorite movements. Except today, I put the bystand in the wrong place. Ugly, ugly, ugly. And nobody to blame except me. We reshuffled the boards and in effect ran two three-round games and added them together. But that is a kludge of the first water.

And guess what? I have to do it again tomorrow. Hopefully, it will be an odd number of tables.

No comments: