Monday, December 27, 2010

What a mess!

This blizzard is playing havoc with the city in general and the regional in particular. Elwood played yesterday, and described conditions outside as awful. He was in a bracketed round-robin, and his final-round opponents dropped out, meaning that he got to go home early. He said he was grateful, since otherwise he might not have made it home. Today, I was originally scheduled to play, but that's not happening, and tomorrow is questionable at best. Agent 99 is still trapped in Cincinnati, and won't get back here until Wednesday sometime, so whether I play on a team with Goldie tomorrow depends on whether we can find a fourth. As an alternative, I suppose we could play in a senior pairs or something, depending on how her other partner(s) are doing. It's all a shambles, really.

It's very unfortunate for the GNYBA and New York bridge in general. This is the biggest snowstorm to hit the city in a number of years, but even so I expect everything to be back to more-or-less normal within a day or two. The City is really pretty good about plowing the roads, restoring power where it drops out, and stuff like that. Which means that if the storm had arrived just two or three days earlier, there would likely have been little impact on the regional. As it is, Dr. Evil couldn't have arranged the timing to do more damage. I'm sure that attendance will be way down for Sunday and Monday, and it will probably be low for the other days too. Very disappointing.

1 comment:

Richard09 said...

An urgent (I thought) errand persuaded me to walk to my bank branch and back, probably less than two miles total. While children were heading off into Prospect Park to go sledding and tubing and whatnot, asthmatic old farts like me were about dying from the effort of just walking around. It isn't actually snowing now, but the wind is quite fierce, with some very strong gusts, and the roads are barely usable. Now, I am in Brooklyn, and I'm sure the streets of Manhattan are in better shape, but I still don't fancy the idea of going anywhere if I don't have to.