Friday, January 1, 2010

Misadventures In Manhattan

My Thursday evening games with Ralph often seem to produce some weird deals and even weirder results.

This one was just amusing.


East was end-played at trick one! She chose the D4, which I won in dummy with the DJ. Then SA and another spade, and the SQ appeared. So I ducked, of course, and there she was - end-played twice in the first four tricks.

This one was just amazing. Sitting North with West the dealer, I held: SJ HA982 DAKJ83 CAJ5

and the bidding proceeded

W    N    E    S

Pass 1D   1H   1S

2H   Dble Pass 4S

Pass Pass Pass

At favorable vulnerability, I was willing to take a swing at 2H. I have aces, I have four trumps and a singleton in partner's suit. Two down is worth more than our game (if we have one). But as good as my hand is, I don't know if I can make a move over 4S. Surely I must have something this good to chance the double? It sounds like partner has a long suit with nothing outside – can I visualize only one loser? Little did I know.

What a hand! I've never seen a ten-card suit before (in a randomly dealt hand). Naturally, 4S plus 3 was not one of our good scores.

Probably the best pair in the room had a horrible disaster against us.

I led the CQ, and declarer decided to cut down on ruffs by playing HA and another heart. Partner ditched a couple of diamonds while I was drawing trumps, so I was quickly able to claim down eight. I call that -800 the hard way. At another table, North liked his hand enough to double 4S. -1270 is another score you don't see too often.

I like being aggressive in the bidding, but sometimes I maybe take things a bit too far.

Just bidding 4S seemed pusillanimous, but 6S looked really ugly when I got a diamond lead. I actually managed to escape for down one, not that it helped the score.

I've tried a two-suited pre-empt before with some success, but this effort collected a big fat zero.

After two passes, I was faced with the question of what to open. Passing can't be right. It certainly appears as if LHO is about to bid spades, and I don't have much defence opposite a passed partner, unless our hands are a real misfit. Opening 2H seems wrong in several ways, so I see my main choices as being 1H and 3H. The three-level bid is unorthodox, but might present South with more of a problem, so I went for it. As you can see, the deal is a bit of a nightmare. Nobody can make anything, and 3H went down three.

No comments: