Saturday, April 12, 2008

70%

I’ve been taking it easy since STaC week, only playing a couple of times a week. And wouldn’t you know it, the first three sessions that weren’t worth silver points ran at 71%, 57% and 61%, with both the 71% and the 61% being good enough to win. I know some different people show up for silver points, so maybe the opposition hasn’t been as strong, but I’m disappointed anyway. I know my own play has been better these past two weeks.

It’s not the first time I’ve scored 70%, by any means, but it still was a bit of a thrill. To score that high, you have to be playing in luck, as well as not making many mistakes. One example: on one hand, my partner realized at trick 12 that he had only one card left. Under the director’s watchful eye, we discovered the extra card in the quitted tricks – apparently two cards had stuck together. The rule in this situation is that the card is deemed to have been in your hand all along. Naturally, if you have played half a dozen tricks since “losing” it, there is a fair chance that you will have revoked. In fact, my partner hadn’t, and there was no penalty assessed - lucky.

The other news, such as it is, is that I’ve taken the Tournament Director test from the ACBL. They promise to take weeks to return a verdict as to whether I’ve passed or not. But maybe, someday, I’ll actually get to direct a game or two. Won’t that be fun.

No comments: